News and Analysis
Manufacturers across America are preparing to open their doors and young minds by hosting an MFG Day event on October 7, 2022 – and throughout the month. MFG Day is manufacturing’s biggest annual opportunity to inspire the next generation to seek careers in modern manufacturing.
Learn more about the initiative, fresh ideas to engage students, and practical methods for promoting and amplifying your events by joining the Manufacturing Institute—the organization behind MFG Day nationwide—for its MFG Day 2022: Getting the Word Out webinar on Wednesday, August 17 at 2 p.m. EDT.
On Aug. 3, the U.S. Economic Development Administration announced that the OMA is among just 32 winners of the agency’s Good Jobs Challenge, which will invest $500 million nationwide.
Over the grant’s three-year term, it’s projected that 1,000 or more OMA-member employers will directly engage in (and benefit from) this initiative, which directly funds local Industry Sector Partnerships to continue their work coordinating, developing, and promoting manufacturing workforce solutions. More than 120 state and local partners supported the OMA’s grant application, demonstrating an incredible level of support and collaboration.
“Receiving this award demonstrates that Ohio is the state to watch when it comes to industry-led workforce development,” OMA President Ryan Augsburger said. “Those involved in reviewing the grant applications have told us that the OMA is providing a model for the nation. The Good Jobs Challenge provides resources to bring that model to scale.”
The OMA seeks to enroll 6,000 individuals in one or more training programs that lead to a job offer or upskilling opportunity at their incumbent employer. That’s 6,000 lives that can be changed for the better — and 6,000 productive employees to help Ohio manufacturers compete.
For more about the Good Jobs Challenge, see OMA’s press release. Further details will be announced in the coming weeks. 8/3/2022
On Aug. 18, the Manufacturing Institute will host a complimentary webinar to spotlight talent recruitment strategies beyond increased wages and benefits. The online event will focus on manufacturers’ experiences highlighted by the Institute in this study, which examines best practices in a tight labor market. Register now. 8/2/2022
Beginning Monday, Aug. 1, nominations will be accepted for the 2023 Women MAKE America Awards (formerly STEP Ahead Awards) to spotlight the next generation of female manufacturing talent.
According to The Manufacturing Institute, the Women MAKE America initiative is the nation’s marquee program to close the gender gap in manufacturing. Learn more and bookmark this site to submit award nominations. 7/28/2022
Opportunity Ohio, a conservative think tank, has published this analysis of Ohio’s population trends, providing estimates of each county’s population through 2050. While the document explores the implications of population shifts on the state’s political power and local economies, it also offers insight into how local workforces may be impacted in the not-so-distant future. 7/25/2022
Here’s a look at the recent or upcoming activities of several OMA-endorsed industry sector partnerships:
- The Central Ohio Manufacturing Partnership (COMP) has published details regarding its recently unveiled entry-level automation and robotics initiative.
- The Alliance for Working Together (AWT) — which serves Ashtabula, Geauga, and Lake counties — has posted this video update on its new manufacturing trade school known as the Transformation Training Center in Mentor.
- On Aug. 20, the Mahoning Valley Manufacturers Coalition will host a “family friendly” jobs fair in Warren. To attract more job seekers, the event will be held on a Saturday and will address child-care challenges.
- ConxusNEO, which serves Portage and Summit counties, has launched its “Where Are the Workers?” website, which explores the labor shortage in northeast Ohio.
- The Lorain County Manufacturing Sector Partnership recently hosted its “Manufacturing Night with the Crushers” — using a professional baseball game to highlight area manufacturers and expand awareness of manufacturing opportunities.
- The Dayton Region Manufacturing Workforce Partnership has alerted members that manufacturing and welding instructors are needed at Sinclair Community College.
- The Appalachian Ohio Manufacturers’ Coalition recently held a “social media lunch and learn” providing manufacturers with best practices to boost their company’s views and engagement.
At 2 p.m. Wednesday, July 27, The Manufacturing Institute will host a complimentary webinar to help employers plan their MFG Day event. MFG Day (Oct. 7) and MFG Month (October) present key opportunities to inspire the next generation about the industry and careers in modern manufacturing. RSVP now for this special briefing. 7/20/2022
Raise the Bar Hancock County — an OMA-endorsed industry sector partnership — has experienced success with its new Summer Educator Experience, which aims to challenge area educators’ perceptions of manufacturing.
According to reports, 36 applications were received from interested educators for the program’s June session. Post-session surveys indicated that it had positively influenced participants’ opinions about manufacturing careers. Raise the Bar will host another group of 18 educators next month to tour and interact with area manufacturers. 7/12/2022
Ohio Lt. Governor Jon Husted has announced the results of the May round of TechCred — Ohio’s unique program that gives employers the chance to upskill employees and be reimbursed up to $2,000 per credential. The program has exceeded the goal outlined in the most recent state budget to fund 20,000 industry-recognized, tech-based credentials over a 12-month period.
During the May application period, manufacturing was once again the sector with the largest number of approved credentials at nearly 1,900.
The current round of Ohio TechCred is open until July 29. 7/13/2022
At 10 a.m. on July 21, the OMA will host a webinar to brief participants on what refugees — specifically Ukrainian refugees — might bring to a workplace in terms of skills and competencies. Participants will also learn about resources to attract immigrants and make their workplaces accessible to the refugee population. Learn more and register. 7/7/2022