News and Analysis
The OMA will host a July 13 webinar to address the safety and health hazards associated with welding and brazing. This one-hour learning event will be presented by OMA Connections Partner Safex, which will highlight OSHA requirements for welding/brazing, as well as best practices to minimize risks. Learn more and register. 6/29/2023
A reminder for OMA members: Employers that pay their entire estimated annual BWC premium for policy year 2023 by Saturday, July 1 will receive a 2% discount. (Payments can be made via this page.) Also, the BWC’s annual true-up period begins July 1 and ends Aug. 15. Here are more details. 6/28/2023
Thirty-eight states — including Ohio — have legalized marijuana for medical use with little regard for how legalization would impact workers’ comp. This report by PropertyCasualty360 examines some of the consequences of legalization. 6/22/2023
On June 22, the OMA Safety and Workers’ Compensation Committee held its Q2 meeting, chaired by Matt Shurte, general counsel at Lancaster Colony Corp. The meeting was attended by more than 70 members and was sponsored by Bricker Graydon, the OMA’s general counsel, and Safex, an OMA Connections Partner.
Guest presenters included fraud investigators Joseph DePolo and Jeff Daggett from the Ohio BWC special investigations unit regarding efforts to protect Ohio’s state insurance fund.
Tom Haren from the Coalition to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol explained his organization’s effort to legalize the use of recreational marijuana, which has traditionally faced stiff opposition from the OMA and other employer groups. Also, OSHA Region 5 Administrator Bill Donovan provided a look at recent OSHA activity impacting employers.
The committee will meet again Oct. 18. 6/22/2023
OSHA is asking employers to share how they establish cultures of safety at the workplace, including ways to increase worker participation in safety programs. Learn more. Employers may submit feedback online through Nov. 13. 6/19/2023
OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips has prepared this comprehensive series of frequently asked questions to help employers learn more about OSHA activities and requirements. Topics include recordkeeping, employee complaints, agency inspections and citations, and more. 6/22/2023
As temperatures continue to rise, OMA Connections Partner Safex has published this guidance on the essential elements to include in your heat acclimation plan to comply with OSHA’s Heat Stress National Emphasis Program. Safex has also posted this video examining the dangers of heat stress. 6/22/2023
June is National Safety Month, which makes it a great time for members to check out the OMA’s on-demand safety webinars. This online video library offers numerous safety webinars conducted by the experts at OMA Connections Partner Safex. 6/13/2023
- The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation annual true-up period begins July 1 and ends Aug. 15. During this period, employers must reconcile their actual payroll for the prior policy year and any differences in premium paid. Here are more details.
- The first BWC premium installment for the new policy year, which begins July 1, is due Wednesday, June 21. Employers can earn a 2% early payment discount by paying their full estimated premium by July 1.
- This BWC letter describes changes coming July 1 to the Drug-Free Safety Program (DFSP). Also, employers face a July 31 deadline for these DFSP requirements.
- On June 29, the BWC will offer its monthly employer webinar, reviewing the annual employer true-up, reportable payroll, early pay discount, important dates, and the monthly safety tip.
- As a reminder, OMA members can find industry-specific BWC safety courses using this page.
As always, email the OMA’s Juliet Walker with any workers’ compensation-related questions. 6/15/2023
Workplace violence is the third-leading cause of fatal occupational injuries in the U.S. To help prevent violence at work, OMA Connections Partner BSI has published this guidance for employers. The firm is also conducting a free June 27 webinar to help employers develop a plan to prevent workplace violence. 6/15/2023