News and Analysis
In December, Ohio’s tax collections continued to outperform forecasts, but the overage was more modest compared to previous months. According to the latest monthly report from the Office of Budget and Management, December revenues were 1.4% above the budget, compared to more than 5% for both October and November. 1/11/2023
On Jan. 2, Gov. Mike DeWine signed Senate Bill 33, which modifies not only the establishment and management of Community Reinvestment Areas (CRAs), but also the agreements for commercial and industrial projects that seek to take advantage of the property tax incentives the CRA program can offer. Read this analysis from Bricker & Eckler, the OMA’s general counsel. 1/12/2023
As cyber attacks continue to pose threats to companies, demand for cyber insurance will increase, experts say. OMA Connections Partner GBQ Partners has published this list of considerations for businesses about to purchase or renew a cyber insurance policy.
On Jan. 26, OMA Connections Partner William Vaughan Company will host a complimentary webinar on what cyber insurance covers and how to apply. 1/12/2023
- Last month, the U.S. manufacturing sector contracted at the fastest pace since the pandemic lockdowns of 2020, according the S&P Global survey of purchasing managers.
- Also, the Institute of Supply Management’s manufacturing index shows the sector last month posted its first decline in nearly three years.
- The U.S. Department of Labor reported a slight increase in U.S. manufacturing job openings — 779,000 openings as of November. (Over the past 12 months, manufacturing job openings averaged nearly 837,000, well above pre-pandemic levels.)
- The Conference Board’s Leading Economic Indicators showed economic conditions last month worsened for the fourth straight month.
- This infographic published by Visual Capitalist shows how much prices increased for select U.S. goods over the past year.
Meanwhile, the latest survey conducted by the National Association of Manufacturers shows more than 62% of manufacturing leaders believed the U.S. economy would slip officially into a recession in 2023. 1/5/2023
On Jan. 11, OMA Connections Partner RSM will host a complimentary webcast to examine what companies are doing to create greater supply chain flexibility — and to help manufacturers identify shifts in the global market. Get more details and register. 1/3/2023
Financial statement fraud, while rare, is the costliest of the major occupational fraud schemes, with a median loss of $593,000 per case. Read this insight from OMA Connections Partner Schneider Downs for warning signs to help you recognize this form of fraud. 1/3/2023
On Jan. 19, OMA Connections Partner CliftonLarsonAllen will host a complimentary webinar to help businesses finalize 2022 financial statements and their 2023 budgets, and prepare for year-end tax compliance. Click here to register for this session, which is designed for CFOs, CEOs, and business owners. 1/4/2023