News and Analysis
- Autoworkers at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis plants no longer have to wear masks to protect against the spread of COVID-19.
- OMA Connections Partner Working Partners® reports the U.S. Department of Transportation is getting closer to approving oral fluid testing to detect employee substance misuse.
- June 30 is the reimbursement deadline for the BWC’s Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program. Visit the BWC’s website to learn more.
- As OSHA continues to enforce its Heat Stress National Emphasis Program, OMA Connections Partner Safex has published this guidance on essential elements to include in your Heat Acclimation Plan.
- OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips has posted this podcast discussing the details of OSHA’s proposed heat stress standard.
- On July 14, the OMA will host a webinar to identify the basics of an ergonomic-friendly work environment. Learn more and register.
If you haven’t already, register now for the OMA Safety and Workers’ Compensation Committee meeting, set for 10 a.m. Tuesday, June 28. Members may attend via Zoom or in person at the OMA offices. A networking lunch will follow for those attending in person. 6/21/2022
- According to OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips and its OSHA Inspections Tracker, 1,038 Ohio employers (including more than 300 manufacturers) have been inspected by OSHA so far this year. (More than half of OSHA’s Ohio inspections have occurred at workplaces with fewer than 50 employees.)
- OSHA recently revised its “Heat Illness Prevention” page.
- OSHA reminds employers that June 19-25 is Lightning Safety Awareness Week. Learn how to stay safe when storms approach.
Because June is National Safety Month, this is a good time of year for members to review the OMA’s on-demand safety webinars (recorded for members’ convenience). The OMA’s online video library offers numerous webinars conducted by OMA Connections Partner Safex. 6/13/2022
The first installment for the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation’s new policy year — which begins July 1 — was billed on May 27. Payment is due by June 21. Employers can earn a 2% early payment discount by paying their full estimated premium by July 1. Questions? Contact Juliet Walker, the OMA’s managing director of workers’ compensation services. 6/16/2022
Reaching their highest rate since 2001, positive drug tests among U.S. workers are up more than 30% compared to their all-time low in 2010-2012, according to reports. In its most recent newsletter, OMA Connections Partner Working Partners provides these six reminders for hiring drug-free seasonal help. 6/8/2022
Beginning July 1, the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) will require employers to reconcile their actual payroll for the prior policy year, as well as any differences in premium paid. If your business has not already done so, the BWC encourages you to review your payroll estimates for the current policy year to avoid surprises. Here are the details. 6/9/2022
June 14 is National Forklift Safety Day, according to OSHA. The agency is promoting a virtual event to help educate employers on steps they can take to improve their forklift safety efforts. (Register here.) Brian Duffy, director of corporate environmental and manufacturing safety for OMA member Crown Equipment Corp., will be a keynote speaker.
The OMA recently hosted a webinar on safely operating material-handling equipment. OMA members can watch it on demand. 6/7/2022
To usher in National Safety Month, the National Safety Council has made available four episodes of its “On the Safe Side” podcasts. Each highlights a different theme throughout the month: musculoskeletal disorders; workplace impairment; injury prevention; and slips, trips, and falls. Check out all four episodes. 6/1/2022
- The BWC’s Division of Safety and Hygiene has created this brief video highlighting its safety programs, services, and resources to help employers create a safe and healthy workplace at no additional cost.
- The BWC’s Drug-Free Safety Program still requires testing for marijuana — and OMA Connections Partner Frantz Ward offers this insight for employers.
- In case you missed it, the CDC offers these printable infographics with recommendations for those who have just contracted COVID-19, as well as those who’ve been in close contact with infected individuals.
- May is National Electrical Safety Month and the BWC has published this article for workers and employers.
Also, in case you missed it, here is the BWC’s latest “Safety Update” newsletter. 5/25/2022
As reported last month, OSHA has launched a national emphasis program (NEP) aimed at protecting workers from heat illness and injuries. OMA Connections Partner Safex offers this online publication to help employers stay in compliance as OSHA intends to double the number of heat-related inspections, according to reports. 5/18/2022
Year to date, there have been more than 800 OSHA inspections at Ohio workplaces, according to the OSHA Inspections Tracker published by OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips. The tracker shows that more than 250 of OSHA’s visits have been to employers with fewer than 10 employees. 5/17/2022