EIA Reports Manufacturers’ Electricity Use has Declined

In this recent press release, the U.S. Energy Information Agency (EIA) said that “overall electricity use in US manufacturing has declined in recent years, based on data from the US Census Bureau.”

The release stated that “many manufacturing establishments have the option of generating their own electricity in addition to pulling directly from the electric grid to run their processes,” and that “most operators get their electricity from grid purchases.”

According to the EIA, “From 2006 through 2016, the manufacturing sector purchased 87% to 89% of their electricity from the grid and generated the remaining 11% to 13% onsite.” 3/29/2018