News and Analysis
Ensuring Compliance With OSHA’s Heat NEPJune 2, 2023
In 2022, OSHA officials implemented a new national emphasis program (NEP) related to heat illnesses and injuries for outdoor and indoor workers. OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips has published this recap of the NEP and steps employers can take to avoid penalties.
Fisher Phillips has also published the latest edition in its series “Surviving an OSHA Inspection.” 5/31/2023
Bill Would Legalize Recreational Pot in OhioJune 2, 2023
Ohio residents would be allowed to cultivate, purchase, and possess marijuana if House Bill 168 were enacted. Introduced by Reps. Jamie Callender (R-Concord) and Casey Weinstein (D-Hudson), the bill is similar to pro-legalization language that activists want on the November 2024 ballot, if they can gather enough signatures by the July 5 deadline. Read more. 5/31/2023
Post-Accident Drug Positivity for Marijuana SoarsJune 2, 2023
Employers are discovering more marijuana use in drug tests after workplace accidents, according to a report. Quest Diagnostics found the number of marijuana-positive drug tests performed after an accident grew 204% from 2012 to 2022, coinciding with a trend of more states legalizing recreational use.
In 2022, the combined U.S. workforce urine drug positivity for all drugs persisted at 4.6% — the highest level in two decades. 6/1/2023
Safety Council Rebate to Increase to 3%June 2, 2023
The Safety Council rebate for employers will increase from 2% to 3% for the July 2023 program year, according to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. Additionally, a $5,000 cap will be instituted on the maximum annual rebate an employer can earn. Employers are encouraged to attend a local safety council to experience the benefits. Learn more. 6/1/2023
Online Safety Training OpportunitiesMay 25, 2023
On Thursday, June 1, the OMA will host a 10 a.m. webinar to examine OSHA’s lockout/tagout requirements. Learn more and register.
Meanwhile, the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is offering the following complimentary webinars:
- May 25 – Monthly employer update;
- June 6 – Basic requirements for self-insurance; and
- June 6 – Tips for measuring safety performance.
See the BWC’s events page for more training opportunities. 5/24/2023
BWC Drug-Free Workplace Safety Program UpdateMay 25, 2023
Starting in July, the Ohio BWC Drug-Free Safety Program will require one hour of employee education and one hour of supervisor training annually. This is a change from the previous requirement of one-time training. OMA Connections Partner Safex offers this required training. Learn more. 5/23/2023
BWC True-Up Begins July 1May 25, 2023
The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation true-up report will be available online starting July 1 — the first day of the private employer payroll true-up period. Employers will have until Aug. 15 to complete their true-up report for the BWC policy year that ends June 30, 2023. Here are more details. 5/24/2023
Ohio Sees 3,351 OSHA Inspections Since January 2022May 19, 2023
From Jan. 1, 2022 through May 17, 2023, there were 3,351 OSHA inspections at Ohio workplaces, according to the OSHA Inspections Tracker published by OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips. More than 985 of OSHA’s Ohio visits were to manufacturing facilities. 5/18/2023
BWC’s MCO Open-Enrollment Period Closes May 26May 19, 2023
The BWC’s Managed Care Organization (MCO) open-enrollment period continues through May 26. ProMedica Medical Management is the only OMA-endorsed MCO based on the company’s results. Choosing an MCO costs nothing and won’t affect your group discount or relationship with a workers’ compensation third-party administrator.
Questions? Contact an OMA Workers’ Compensation Services team member. 5/17/2023
Safety Roundup: Recreational Marijuana Could Be on November BallotMay 12, 2023
- Members interested in BWC safety and cost-reduction programs have until May 31 to apply for the Drug-Free Safety Program and Transitional Work Bonus Program. For questions, email Juliet Walker, the OMA’s managing director of workers’ compensation services.
- Reports say activists seeking to legalize the recreational use of marijuana in Ohio are hiring paid petition circulators to gather signatures by July 5 to put the issue on this November’s ballot.
- OMA Connections Partner Fisher Phillips will host a May 16 workforce safety webinar for automotive industry employers titled “What to Do Before and After OSHA Arrives.” Register here.
- OSHA is hosting a May 16 webinar addressing heat as a workplace hazard.
- Since the COVID-19 public health emergency is officially over, EHS Today has published these 10 questions to help businesses prepare for the next future health emergency.
- Fisher Phillips has published this six-step plan for employers as OSHA contemplates updating its COVID-19-related requirements and guidance.
Keep in mind the BWC publishes this calendar of virtual and in-person safety webinars and training events. 5/8/2023